[Webteam] Suggestion for Squeak Website

raphaelsarmiento at rcn.com raphaelsarmiento at rcn.com
Fri Apr 21 04:11:09 UTC 2006

- The Glorious Mysteries
Forgetfulness of the Future

11. The third evil for which a remedy is needed is one which is
chiefly characteristic of the times in which we live. Men in
former ages, although they loved the world, and loved it far too
well, did not usually aggravate their sinful attachment to the
things of earth by a contempt of the things of heaven. Even the
right-thinking portion of the pagan world recognized that this
life was not a home but a dwelling-place, not our destination,
but a stage in the journey. But men of our day, albeit they
have had the advantages of Christian instruction, pursue the
false goods of this world in such wise that the thought of their
true Fatherland of enduring happiness is not only set aside, but,
to their shame be it said, banished and entirely erased from
their memory, notwithstanding the warning of St. Paul, "We
have not here a lasting city, but we seek one which is to come"
(Heb. xiii., 4).

12. When We seek out the causes of this forgetfulness, We are
met in the first place by the fact that many allow themselves to
believe that the thought of a future life goes in some way to
sap the love of our country, and thus militates against the
prosperity of the commonwealth. No illusion could be more
foolish or hateful. Our future hope is not of a kind which so
monopolizes the minds of men as to withdraw their attention
from the interests of this life. Christ commands us, it is true, to
seek the Kingdom of God, and in the first place, but not in such
a manner as to neglect all things else. For, the use of the goods
of the present life, and the righteous enjoyment which they
furnish, may serve both to strengthen virtue and to reward it.
The splendour and beauty of our earthly habitation, by which
human society is ennobled, may mirror the splendour and
beauty of our dwelling which is above. Therein we see nothing
that is not worthy of the reason of man and of the wisdom of
God. For the same God who is the Author of Nature is the
Author of Grace, and He willed not that one should collide or
conflict with the other, but that they should act in friendly
alliance, so that under the leadership of both we may the more
easily arrive at that immortal happiness for which we mortal
men were created.

13. But men of carnal mind, who love nothing but themselves,
allow their thoughts to grovel upon things of earth until they are
unable to lift them to that which is higher. For, far from using
the goods of time as a help towards securing those which are
eternal, they lose sight altogether of the world which is to
come, and sink to the lowest depths of degradation. We may
doubt if God could inflict upon man a more terrible punishment
than to allow him to waste his whole life in the pursuit of earthly
pleasures, and in forgetfulness of the happiness which alone
lasts for ever.

14. It is from this danger that they will be happily rescued,
who, in the pious practice of the Rosary, are wont, by frequent
and fervent prayer, to keep before their minds the glorious
mysteries. These mysteries are the means by which in the soul
of a Christian a most clear light is shed upon the good things,
hidden to sense, but visible to faith, "which God has prepared
for those who love Him." From them we learn that death is not
an annihilation which ends all things, but merely a migration
and passage from life to life. By them we are taught that the
path to Heaven lies open to all men, and as we behold Christ
ascending thither, we recall the sweet words of His promise, "I
go to prepare a place for you." By them we are reminded that
a time will come when "God will wipe away every tear from our
eyes," and that "neither mourning, nor crying, nor sorrow, shall
be any more," and that "We shall be always with the Lord,"
and "like to the Lord, for we shall see Him as He is," and "drink
of the torrent of His delight," as "fellow-citizens of the saints," in
the blessed companionship of our glorious Queen and Mother.
Dwelling upon such a prospect, our hearts are kindled with
desire, and we exclaim, in the words of a great saint, "How vile
grows the earth when I look up to heaven!" Then, too, shall we
feel the solace of the assurance "that which is at present
momentary and light of our tribulation worketh for us above
measure exceedingly an eternal weight of glory" (2 Cor. iv.,
17).

15. Here alone we discover the true relation between time and
eternity, between our life on earth and our life in heaven; and it
is thus alone that are formed strong and noble characters.
When such characters can be counted in large numbers, the
dignity and well-being of society are assured. All that is
beautiful, good, and true will flourish in the measure of its
conformity to Him who is of all beauty, goodness, and truth the
first Principle and the Eternal Sou