[Webteam] Squeak License section in the About page and Licensing change

Larry Trutter stargazerzero at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 18 16:29:28 UTC 2007

>From: Brad Fuller <brad at bradfuller.com>
>To: Larry Trutter <stargazerzero at hotmail.com>,
>webteam at lists.squeakfoundation.org,  aperez at alexperez.com
>Subject: Re: [Webteam] Squeak License section in the About page and
>Licensing change
>Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 07:19:19 -0800
>
>Larry Trutter wrote:
>>>From: Alex Perez <aperez at alexperez.com>
>>>To: "Larry Trutter" <stargazerzero at hotmail.com>
>>>CC: karl.ramberg at comhem.se, webteam at lists.squeakfoundation.org
>>>Subject: Re: [Webteam] 2nd Draft of About section
>>>Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 19:26:53 -0800

>>>This may be an unpopular viewpoint, maybe not, but I'd suggest you  place
>>>it prominently as a sticky news item *on the front page* until  it's
>>>finalized.
>>rely on the Squeak License page (no change to that page)?
>
>Would there be any problem of placing a paragraph about the changing tide
>at the top of the license page - explaining the current license (1
>sentence), the new license and the procedure of changing the rest of
>squeak's versions?
>
>After that, then stating the new license text of squeak version 1? Follow
>this new license with the license the covers the rest of squeak (squeak
>version 2.X and 3.x)?
>
>I don't like the sticky news item - it's like an internal todo - not great
>for a professional presentation to squeakers and would be squeakers.

If the paragraph can be placed as a seperate section at the top of the
License page, it could read as follows:

"Thanks to long-running efforts by folks at Viewpoints Research Institute,
Apple Computer and elsewhere, Apple has given Viewpoints permission to make
a release of the original public Squeak system using the *Apple Public
Source License >http://www.opensource.apple.com/apsl/2.0.txt* .

Work is underway to change the license for all the others Squeak releases.
In order to do so, all the contributors in the past ten years have to be
contacted. The Squeak Foundation Board is compiling a definitive mapping of
all the contributor initials in the system to their authors, so we can
contact each author for explicit terms. Eventually, they like to get the
entirety of Squeak available under a MIT-style license, since that seems to
be the best combination of simplicity and familiarity."

(a link pointing to Craig's contributor list web site will be included)

Most of the statement comes from Craig Latta. I emailed him to confirm if
the statement is still accurate.

Any comments?

thanks,
Larry Trutter