[Webteam] Squeak License section in the About page and Licensing change

Brad Fuller brad at bradfuller.com
Sun Feb 18 16:56:29 UTC 2007

Larry Trutter wrote:
>> From: Brad Fuller <brad at bradfuller.com>
>> To: Larry Trutter <stargazerzero at hotmail.com>,
>> webteam at lists.squeakfoundation.org,  aperez at alexperez.com
>> Subject: Re: [Webteam] Squeak License section in the About page and
>> Licensing change
>> Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 07:19:19 -0800

>>> rely on the Squeak License page (no change to that page)?
>>
>> Would there be any problem of placing a paragraph about the changing
>> tide at the top of the license page - explaining the current license
>> (1 sentence), the new license and the procedure of changing the rest
>> of squeak's versions?
>>
>> After that, then stating the new license text of squeak version 1?
>> Follow this new license with the license the covers the rest of
>> squeak (squeak version 2.X and 3.x)?
>>
>> I don't like the sticky news item - it's like an internal todo - not
>> great for a professional presentation to squeakers and would be
>> squeakers.
>>

> If the paragraph can be placed as a seperate section at the top of the
> License page, it could read as follows:

It looks good and I'd put it on the top of the license page. I have just
a few comments:

> "Thanks to long-running efforts by folks at Viewpoints Research
> Institute, Apple Computer and elsewhere, Apple has given Viewpoints
> permission to make a release of the original public Squeak system
> using the *Apple Public Source License
> >http://www.opensource.apple.com/apsl/2.0.txt* .

I'd put in the version number to be clear. I THINK it's version 1 and
1.1, but I'm not certain. You'll have to look it up.

so:

"Apple has given Viewpoints permission to make a release of the original
public Squeak (version 1.0 and 1.1) system using the ..."

> Work is underway to change the license for all the others Squeak
> releases. In order to do so, all the contributors in the past ten
> years have to be contacted. The Squeak Foundation Board is compiling a
> definitive mapping of all the contributor initials in the system to
> their authors, so we can contact each author for explicit terms.
> Eventually, they like to get the entirety of Squeak available under a
> MIT-style license, since that seems to be the best combination of
> simplicity and familiarity."
>
> (a link pointing to Craig's contributor list web site will be included)
I don't think this should be included, just for privacy sake.

> Most of the statement comes from Craig Latta. I emailed him to confirm
> if the statement is still accurate.

How about putting your updates on the license page on wwwtest.squeak.org?