[Webteam] Adding new pages (was Re: Choosing the platform for website)

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Fri Jul 18 09:13:45 UTC 2008

Matthew Fulmer wrote:

> I also find it's method of
> adding new pages extremely un-intuitive, and I also cannot
> figure out how to add non-document resources to the website,
> which is as simple as a drop-down box in pier (In the add
> command, you choose what you want to create. Default choice is a
> wiki page)

I just compared SmallWiki vs. Scribo page adding:

	SmallWiki: *New Page*
	Scribo:    [New Page]

or explicit Urls:

	SmallWiki: *New Page>NewPage*
	Scribo:    [New Page>NewPage]

or external Urls:

	SmallWiki: *External>http://www.external.org*
	Scribo:    [External>http://www.external.org]

As you can see, actually the same way, and even that can be adjusted in
Scribo to be exactly the same.

SmallWiki has a separate Contents page, where you can also add and
remove pages. This is missing in Scribo right now, but it will be there
soon.

SmallWiki has also an explicit hierarchy (with special pages called
Folders) while Scribo intentionally don't have explicit page hierarchy.
But you can implicitly set page hierarchy in explicit URl:
[Installation>/Documentation/Installation]. It is true that we need to
support automatic creation of hierarchical subpages better. I'm just
working on that.

About adding other resources: Scribo has a full and really powerful
image adding support in rich text editor. It is two step process: first
you upload image, second you simply drag that image in the content on
the place where you want. It can't be simpler than that.

I'll also soon switch on uploading any attachment to the page, like PDFs
etc.

Best regards
Janko