[Webteam] Investigating the effort it will take to get to Pier

karl karl.ramberg at comhem.se
Sun Mar 16 22:40:38 UTC 2008

Danie Roux wrote:
> Dear Webteam,
>
> Has anyone here investigated/estimated the effort it would take to move to Pier?
>
> I would like to do that investigation and put together some sort of action plan.
>
> If I read the situation correctly, the biggest push for a technology
> upgrade is twofold:
>
> - Persistence right now is not ideal.
> - We need an implementation of a CAPTCHA to stop spammers from
> spamming via "Contact Us".

Mostly right.

Some other points are Smallwiki mangles/inlines non ascii chars on
saving/editing so if I put a é in a text, it will be lost if I
edit the text again.

Pictures are hard to use as a link. I had to do some hoop jumping to
make that work.

There is a Captcha for Smallwiki2 on SqueakSource which probably could
be made to work for either Smallwiki or Pier.

I'm not sure about persistence options.

> What did I miss? Some people suggested the look and feel should also
> be considered during such an upgrade, but I don't think that is a
> major driver.
>
> If the Pier upgrade can be done successfully and smoothly, I would
> want to do an integration to http://recaptcha.net/learnmore.html to
> stop the spammers.
>
> Next steps then:
> - Has anyone looked at a Pier upgrade?

Not that I know of. We have done some work to make a squeakfoundation
site in Pier but found that it could just be a subpart of the Squeak site.
> - Shall I just grab the current image, start playing with it test the
> viability of an upgrade?

That sounds like a viable way ahead.

Karl