[Webteam] Mac VM need update on squeak.org

Raymond Asselin asselinraymond at videotron.ca
Sun Mar 1 20:25:17 UTC 2009

I think there is a mess in Mac virtual machine version on squeak.org

If you select <MacOSX (Universal)> from the download page 'Virtual Machine' you get
a <Squeak 3.8.18beta1U.app> download.

If you select <Mac>from the first page Latest Release: 3.10.2
you get a folder with <Squeak 3.8.18beta3U.app>.

BUT a post from John McIntosh sent 19 january 2009 suggest that the 3.8.21beta1U
be the production version:

>   Based on feedback I've promoted 3.8.21beta1U to production, it can be
>   found via links from
>
>   http://smalltalkconsulting.com/squeak.html
>
>   If someone can update ftp.squeak.org  that would be helpful.
>   Because of the following issues anyone using 3.8.20beta1U should
>   upgrade.
>
>   info.plist change:
>
>   To turn on the mmap file mapping for the image loading, which can
>   improve startup times
>   alter the SqueakUseFileMappedMMAP setting to TRUE from the default
>   value of false.
>
>   Note the risk of turning this one appears to affect image saving where
>   you experience:
>
>   (a)  lockups writing to images on NFS mounts
>   (b)  occasionally an image save to the local hard disk can fail.

As I don't have upload rights on ftp.squeak.org , may be somebody on the Web team
may do the necesseray change, or grant me the right to do so.

Raymond