[Webteam] Upgrade steps (was Re: How to log ...)

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 14:02:03 UTC 2012

OK, I followed the Squeak instructions at http://www.aidaweb.si/download instead of just using ConfigurationOfAida and now 6.4 runs in my Squeak 4.3.

> Also the Cog VM is not the problem. If we can get things running on a trunk image with normal VM we can just open that image once with a Cog VM and Cog will convert the image.

I'm glad to hear that.

> My status for now:
>
> - I exported the objects from the old image (there are several defect objects dangling in the old image). No idea if I will get them into a trunk image. Right now UTF seems the main problem.
> - I got a 4.3 from the Website and updated it to trunk then installed Aida 6.4. This will be my base for all experiments.
>
> I assume I have to install scribo then follow your Link and get the Squeak site code. Is this correct?

Yea, Scribo and then the SqueakSite. The version of SqueakSite to get is #18. That's the one in production. I think #19 is untested.

http://mc.aidaweb.si/SqueakSite/

Loading Scribo seems to be a bit of a problem. When you load it, then the localhost:8888 demo site adds some links at the bottom of the page: blog, wiki, and, webpage.
I've loaded Scribo from ConfigurationOfScribo as well as Scribo-jm.192.mcz thinking that either would be the latest version ( http://mc.aidaweb.si/Scribo/ ).
It doesn't go so well from there. The error messages come ( ie. Halt. Halt. Halt. ) quickly.

Sounds like we're further ahead than we were yesterday.

1. Load Scribo successfully.
2. Load SqueakSite #18 in Aida 6.4 and tweak to update.
3. Load in the data extracted from the production image.

Thanks,
Chris