[Webteam] New site content suggestions

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Mar 4 20:30:09 UTC 2014

I understand that I might be too late, or simply suggesting changes to things that are already improved, so don’t worry about telling me to forget it…

Front page - nice to see the new carousel pictures I made.

Download column -
“The simplest way to get started is to {download our All-In-One bundle} that works for Windows, OS X and x86 linux systems. Simply double-click and enter the world of Squeak. Newcomers will benefit from taking a look at the {Documentation page} to get started.
More ways to download and to get bleeding-edge versions can be found on the Downloads page.”
Obvious need for button to do the download at the {download our All-In-One bundle} and a link on the {Documentation page} to the actual downloads page.
NB: obviously we’d need a ‘Downloads’ page. I think it ought to listed in the menubar too.

Take Part in the Excitement column
+ Discover {Projects} (link to Projects page)
+ Explore the {Documentation} (link to documentation page)
+ Learn about {Developing} (link to development page)
+ Join the {Community}

Latest News column
- this ought to be a way for Ron T (who does most of the work of looking after news stuff ) to provide an occasional paragraph without needing any access or special tools. Could it provide a feed from a PlanetSqueak type RSS or whatever? I’d prefer it not just be ‘whatever is latest’ since it should be reserved for more important items.

OK; it occurs to me that this is not a very efficient way to do website editing. What might work better?

tim
Useful random insult:- "Body by Fisher -- brains by Mattel."