#on:send: methods

Steven Swerling sswerling at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 23 16:57:59 UTC 2005

Rob Gayvert wrote:

> My concern about the #on:send: methods is that I haven't looked at this
> whole area from a Smalltalk viewpoint. All I've done so far is
> transliterate a bunch of C++ and wxPython examples into Squeak code that
> works.
> Hence, you wind up with some rather weird stuff like
> #onMenu301To303:. And I'm not sure I understand all of the capabilities
> of the whole wxWidgets event model either, so I'm not sure if things
> like ranges and custom events and pluggable handlers are represented
> properly. And do we ever really need ids? They strike me as ugly, but
> there might be situations where you need them.
>
> In short, before we go off and write gobs of code that call the existing
> methods, I think it would be worthwhile to discuss what the best model
> for Squeak would be.

The proof is in the pudding -- you made the right choice for
bootstrapping Wx into squeak. If I accurately detect a note of concern
on your part that people might consider the current layout to be your
idea of what Smalltalk code should look like, why not just say "caveat
emptor", and permit yourself a free hand to revise and rearchitect as
you see fit, when you feel the time is right. Those of us that rely on
your work will just have to roll with the motion, chime in with
opinions, and keep up as best we can.