wxWidgets 2.5.4

Rob Gayvert rtg at rochester.rr.com
Sat Feb 26 15:21:35 UTC 2005

Cees de Groot wrote:

> We moved our development to 0.4, no big surprises so far. I think the
> grid  code can still do with some range checking, I'd need to check
> the exact  spot but I had a VM crash when still using 0-based offsets,
> I think when I  set column labels. The right-click problem seems to be
> solved, although I  had problems in the tree with spurious events -
> tree events coming in with  event items containing pointers that
> didn't match any of the items in my  tree (I keep a list of items
> around).

The range checking actually has a long way to go -- I've probably only
done about 10% of what needs to be done. The problem is that it's a
tedious job. In most cases, I have to check both the wxWidgets
documentation and the source code to see how the boundary values are
handled. Sometimes an index of -1 will be invalid, while other times it
has special meaning. Once I get the API spec into a sqlite database it
will be easier to add these checks.

As for tree events, I know there are some oddities. On OS X I had to
disable the tree control demo because it kept crashing for some reason.
But this line in the release notes for 2.5.4 gives us some hope:
            - Various changes to how wxListCtrl and wxTreeCtrl react to
right
               mouse clicks and left mouse click for starting a drag
operation.

> Hopefully the wx guys get the busy cursor over grids etcetera back
> into  shape, as far as I can tell that's currently the only 'out of
> our control'  issue in our application.

Well, a quick mod to the grid sample reveals that the problem is still
there in 2.5.4.  I'll have to check with the wx mailing list about this.