build problems

Rob Gayvert rtg at rochester.rr.com
Wed Mar 2 15:30:30 UTC 2005

Cees de Groot wrote:

> Still attempting, in the background, to build the stuff. It all seems
> to  work, but the 2.5.3 (0.4rc1 uses 2.5.3, not?) build process
> doesn't leave  me with the _stc and _plot libraries which wxSqueak
> seems to need. Any  hints on what is going wrong?

You're almost there. The stc and plot libraries are in the contrib
directory, so you need to go the <wx>/contrib/build directory and build
each of these separately. The resulting libraries wind up in
<wx>/lib/vc_lib with everything else. The plot library is still
necessary because I was too lazy to yank out the API calls, which I'm
not using anywhere. The stc library (Scintilla) is needed for styled
text. I suspect this will get merged into the standard base libraries in
the future.

> (by the way - building wxWidgets 2.5.3 confirms that C++ is an
> awesome  amount of crap. I mean, taking an hour or so on a 3.2GHz P4HT
> and leaving  over 3GB of stuff on my disk just for a widget library?
> C'mon...)

Well, not to defend C++, but the "Build All" setup in the wxWidgets
project is massive overkill. It builds every combination of
(release|debug/unicode|nonunicode/universal|generic/static|dll) for a
total of 16 flavors of each library, when you really only need 1 or 2.
But it takes almost as long to go through the dialogs to pick out the
ones you want as it does to compile them all, so it's a tossup. ;)