Some performance notes

Rob Gayvert rtg at rochester.rr.com
Wed Mar 2 15:43:03 UTC 2005

Andreas Raab wrote:

> Rob -
>
>> I do a fair amount of work with cygwin and gcc as well, so I'm not
>> partial to any particular tool; I just happened to start with MSVC.
>> But after seeing these numbers, I'll definitely have to switch over
>> to a gcc build.
>
> Don't get spoiled. There is no reason why you would have to compile a
> *plugin* with GCC (unless you like it). If I remember our last
> conversation correctly, then there wasn't any intrinsic need for a VM
> modification (is this still correct?) so you might be better off with
> an external plugin (compiled with whatever) and the stock VM.

Good point, and I'd certainly like to get it all into an external
plugin. I was able to move some startup and shutdown code into the
plugin as you suggested a few months ago, but there is still one small
change that is necessary for wxSqueak. In sqWin32Window.c, the function
ioProcessEvents calls

    while(PeekMessage(&msg,0,0,0,PM_NOREMOVE)) {
        GetMessage(&msg,0,0,0);

For wxSqueak this needs to be

    while(PeekMessage(&msg,stWindow,0,0,PM_NOREMOVE))
       GetMessage(&msg,stWindow,0,0);

so that the events to non-Squeak windows are not consumed here. Do you
think we could find a way to work in a fix for this in the stock VM?