WxMorphic status report

Rob Gayvert rtg at rochester.rr.com
Wed Mar 9 15:19:50 UTC 2005

Steven Swerling wrote:

> Hi,
>
> WxMorphic is starting to stabilize. In fact it seems to be working
> quite well. I can open multiple windows containing WxMorphicPanel's
> that either shrinkToFit the viewBox, or use scrollbars.
>
> I've put in all kinds of morphs into the panels, and they all seem to
> be working pretty well. All the dev tools work. Aside from the odd
> crash, it feels a lot like you're in a regular squeak window. But
> there are multiple windows open, and the WxMorphicCanvas can be in a
> portion of the window rather than the whole thing.
>
> I'm not sure if the crashes are my fault or not. Occasionally, the
> callback process will return "true" instead of the object it was
> supposed to, at which point any WxWindows freeze. Sometimes, the main
> squeak display freezes in this situation too. I'm using my own
> WorldState (WxMorphicWorldState) and I wonder if I could use the UI
> thread to detect a stuck callback process and fix it up -- you think
> that might be worth a shot?
>
> There's still a few niggling things to get squared away before I share
> (a few missing keyboard events, a decent demo or 2, etc). But so far
> so good.

Steve -- this is awesome! This truly gives us a chance to combine the
best of both worlds.

I see in your followup that you found the patch to the event process
error. There's still a fundamental bug somewhere in the callback
mechanism. I'm hoping that Andreas' line of questioning on VM
modifications will lead to some resolution of this issue.