[Wxsqueak] GUI builder ideas

Rob Rothwell r.j.rothwell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 00:36:19 UTC 2006

Rob,

I think the BuoyBuilder video provides a good example of what we should
> be able to do, only better. In our case the builder would be part of the
> environment, so you don't need the separate edit-compile steps. I didn't
> follow some of the "wiring" parts of the demo, but it seemed to be more
> complicated than what we should have to do, given the right model and
> widgets.

I didn't follow the "wiring" either.  Thats where I thought maybe you could
do something more "visual" even if you weren't fully "representing the
model."  I definitely agree that it seemed too complicated and that someone
should be able to do better!  I think this is why many in the VB6 crowd is
so "upset" about VB .NET.  More things are "possible," but it
got...complicated.  And, while it was never as "live" as Squeak, there was
not really an edit-compile step.  Maybe I'll have to play around with the
[BuoyBuilder] download so I can make a more informed statement than that.

Your SQL analogy points to an important aspect of the GUI model: how to
> define components that can be reused. For a GUI builder to scale well it
> must be possible to construct reusable composite widgets. I'm hoping
> that the MVP pattern will help with this, as seems to be happening in
> Dolphin.

I think I will have to read up on MVP.  Do you know a good place to start?
My only experience with building new "widgets" is for VB, and it is really
not a lot of fun.  I'm not sure how to make it better, but I think I can
give you lots of ideas on how NOT to do it!  Do you play around with other
flavors of Smalltalk to get ideas?

A visual representation of the model sounds appealing, but that's a real
> blue-sky project.

Blue-sky, but I have some ideas that will need...WIDGETS!  And, it would be
easier to build with a, um, GUI builder!

But it does bring to mind another feature I'd love to
> see: some way to tie documentation (including graphics) to code in a
> more natural and useful fashion. This could be be especially useful in
> understanding the dynamics of an MVP situation.

What do you picture?  I always think of these things like "going inside" the
program...kind of like a Project Morph.  You know, you "go  inside" the GUI
to get to the code (generally by clicking/double-clicking/middle-click,
etc...).  Maybe you could "go inside" classes or chunks of code that you
could mark.  Natural would be excellent, though.  And fun!  Maybe it would
make documenting as much fun as programming!  I think in the end I picture
those 3D virtual-reality views they always use in a futuristic Sci-fi
movie.  Some way that you could interact with your interface and learn about
it at the same time...

Finally, I am just having a bit of trouble getting wxWidgets up and running
so I can build your wxSqueak 0.4.1 VM.  I'll let you know when I have that
figured out...

Take care,

RobR