[Wxsqueak] Working Copy of WxSqueak

Rob Rothwell r.j.rothwell at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 22:27:02 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 12:07 PM, Rob Gayvert <rtg at rochester.rr.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,

Yes, thanks for the response!

I'm surprised to see the interest in wxSqueak. I haven't done any work on it
> in several months, and haven't heard from anyone using it in a quite some
> time.

Well, I actually offered to help out quite some time ago, and just couldn't
ever get the VM to compile...

Combine that with the fact that I just didn't know what I was doing in
Smalltalk, let alone Squeak, and, well, you get the picture.

Anyway, I have learned enough to do useful work in Squeak (using Aida as for
my front end, which is appropriate for my problem), and I don't want to go
back to anything else when I need to do something requiring some windows!  I
work in a hospital that is a MS Windows shop, and well, you know...

> If anyone is interested, I have a 0.5 version with Unicode support and a
> few other new features.

Anything you have would be great; I just don't want to program in VB again
when my user interfaces for the little tools we write just aren't that
complicated!

Anyway, I think I am up to the task of figuring out the framework now and
being able to ask intelligent questions when I don't understand something.
 I just wasn't before.

>  You can find it at: ftp://83.103.70.253/wxsqueak0.4rc1.zip
>>  I have included wxDesigner; if you plan to create a project, please,
>> consider me as a partecipant.

Thank you...I'll try to get this working.  The one "business project" I
would consider this for is a MSAccess type of replacement, but with
Smalltalk at it's core.  We do a lot of weird data manipulation at the
hospital that queries just can't quite do, but they can get you started.  It
would be great to build an extensible system with a typical DB GUI query
tool at the core, from which you could manipulate actual collections with
all the advantages of real code without having to move data back and forth
between a query tool and Squeak!

Thanks again,

Rob