[Newbies] Packages and dependencies (squeakmap and monticello)

itsme213 itsme213 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 4 01:15:54 UTC 2006

I am a bit surprised that packages in squeakmap (and monticello?) do not
seem to be aware of package dependencies. There may be historical or
technical reasons for this, but for someone coming from Ruby I really miss
the equivalent of Ruby's "gem" package system:

    gem install foobar

will inspect meta-data on the foobar package, and then locate and install
any required packages as well if they are not present already, before
installing foobar. It is also version aware.

Is there a way to do this with squeak packages? Some specific reason for not
doing this?

Thanks.