AW: [Newbies] API: Control Squaek by Excel

Benjamin Schroeder benschroeder at acm.org
Mon Jul 3 12:20:42 UTC 2006

On Jul 3, 2006, at 8:01 AM, Loew Uwe (DS/EES1) wrote:

> Thank you very much for your fast response.
> I have a given program (written in squaek) and i want to automate
> the program from an other program (e.g. Excel). Is it possible to
> expose interfaces of classes (written in squeak) like it is
> possible with MS-COM or CORBA or do i have to write an adapter
> (maybe via TCP/IP?) for such reasons. I want to automate this
> program (call Squeak methods) with an other program written in VB6,
> and i wanted to know if there is any simple way to 'communicate'
> with squaek programs.

I once hung out while John Pierce and Rob Rothwell wrote a proof of
concept of such a thing. It used sockets to communicate between Excel
formulas and Squeak. This was just an evening's work, so it wasn't
complete, but the concept is good: this is the way the Squeak/.NET
bridge originally worked.

I've cc'ed John and Rob in case either one of them has more advice.

Regards,
Benjamin Schroeder