[Newbies] Squeak and the Keyboard

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Thu May 4 12:58:47 UTC 2006

Hello Shawn,

welcome here.

SM> Is there an exhaustive list of keyboard shortcuts?
SM> If not, how does one find out what keyboard shortcuts are defined in
SM> an image?

In the World Menu, Help, "command key help" will open a workspace
which contains a big list of command keys.

SM> Is there a vi or emacs keys package for squeak?

SqueakMap has Emacs key bindings. Never used it. Sorry to say SM is in
a state of transition right now, so maybe this helps:
Download: ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/Smalltalk/Squeak/goodies/EmacsKeys.cs

Try it in a new image, as it's for Version 3.4!

http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2909 might be a starting point.

SM> I would love to learn "squeak keys" but from all the documentation I
SM> have read, it seems very notepad-ish. Have I completely missed the boat?

I (never having used vi or emacs) feel that squeak has more than
sufficient command keys, you can judge for yourself after trying the
above tip.

SM> I use vi and emacs extensively and I love the fact I can customize
SM> the way the keys work. How can I do this in squeak?

That should be easy, as everything can be customized in squeak. Sorry
I don't know much about this. If nobody else replies, please come back
with a separate mail, which has a more specific topic.

http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1844 might be of more help.

SM> I love the whole browser idea, I just hope I don't have to keep
SM> touching my mouse so much when navigating the browser and that when I
SM> edit a method, I am able to move quickly around the text without
SM> touching the mouse.

BTW, if you haven't yet met the tracing messages browser, I think it's
a great help here. The trick is that a senders or implementors in the
bottom list will add the method indented to the top list.

Great tool if you work on an algorithm which is distributed over
several methods of several classes.

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:herbertkoenig at gmx.net