[Newbies] What kind of application for Squeak

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Mon May 22 15:07:13 UTC 2006

On 5/21/06, Pierre Lebrun <pierre at famillelebrun.net> wrote:
> I'd like to program a management software for table tennis tournament.
> Is it possible to build that with squeak ?
> Is it possible to load and run a smalltalk application by a dummy user
> without being faced to smalltalk environment ?

It is certainly possible to build it in Squeak, and it is probably a
good project for learning Squeak.  The best way to learn a new
language is to use it to build something, but the worst way to build
something is to do it in a language you don't know. So, if you want to
build it quickly, pick a language you already know, but if you want to
learn Squeak, go for it!

Yes, it is possible for a user to use an application written in Squeak
and not know it.  However, it is not trivial to make an application
like this.  Squeak experts will say "it is easy", and it is easy for
them, but it is not easy for a newbie.  My advice is to just build
your application and don't worry about hiding Squeak from your users.
Once your application is almost done, you will be an expert and will
find it easy to learn to hide the environment from your users.

-Ralph