[Newbies] Re: Growing image

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Wed Nov 29 12:00:59 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 01:52 +0100, Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
> Hi Norbert,
>
> the tool is Smalltalk, just inspect
>
> (((Smalltalk allClasses collect: [:each | each name -> each instanceCount
> ])
> 	reject: [:each | each value = 0])
> 	asSortedCollection: [:a :b | b value < a value]) asArray
>
> This gives # of objects per class, in a nice GUI :-)

Thanks, this is quite good. I have now a statistic like:

246565 WeakArray
241929 WeakKeyAssociation
179848 ByteString
171165 Array
159003 Association
130254 WeakValueAssociation

What is the best way to determine where this instances are
referenced. Do I have to use PointerFinder or Smalltalk
browseAllObjectReferencesTo: or is there better way?

thanks for your help, this goes also to Ramon and David.
You are very helpful, guys.

Norbert