[Newbies] Making a Book on Squeak: Accented spanish characters and other questions

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas offray.luna at javeriana.edu.co
Mon Sep 25 04:42:31 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I'm trying to make a book using the BookMorph object on squeak and I'm
facing various questions:

 * The first problem is with Spanish accented characters (á, é, í, ó,
ú). Other spanish characters like "ñ" work fine. I have been searching
on Internet and asking in #squeak. I have defined LC_CTYPE and LC_ALL on
my Linux system and restarted Squeak. Still I have not support for the
accented chars. I see this message from terminal:

setlocale() failed (check values of LC_CTYPE, LANG and LC_ALL)

and when I made the echo on that variables I get: ANSI, "es_CO.UTF-8"
and es_CO, respectively, so all of them are defined.

 ¿What else needs to be done?

*  I would like to see how flash integrates with Squeak. Because I have
not previous expertise with that format I have downloaded some flash
demos on the web in .swf format. I can see them in the file loader of
squeak, but when I try to open them it warnings me about the
versionformat of the file (it says that file is version 5 or 6 of the
format and the supported version is 3). After that I get a error message
or an empty window with the play and stop buttons but nothing on them.
Can please somebody point me to flash content that can be seeing on Squeak?

* Can I made a vertical flap inside the book morph for a table of
content? I can put the vertical flap on the book, but I can't see if is
possible to put some kind of table of contents on it. Can this table of
content be like a the browser files with hierarchical Items for every
content (in the same way as a pdf viewer or like the file system browser
show directories and subdirectories).

*  How can I put a project inside a project. I remembered some kind of
drag & drop action, but at this moment seems not working.

* There is a object that is like a book with flaps in its upper side.
How can I change the text on the flaps, add more content and made that
when I made click on a flat the book preserves the same size in all the
flaps?

Thanks a lot.

Offray