[Newbies] Loading package plus dependencies via monticello

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Thu Aug 2 22:26:48 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 14:48 -0700, Chris Cunningham wrote:
>         Ok, nice tool. In principal exact what I was looking for.
>         Unfortunately it doesn't support directory repositories
>         and it that way.
>
> Hi Norbert,
>
> Attached is a simple change set that will allow it to mostly support
> directories (I've been using it personally for a while now - there are
> undoubtedly places where there are holes).  Basically, it removes the
> protections that were put in to not use Directories.  If you think
> about it, using directory repositories for configurations is a really
> bad idea - if you share the config with someone else, they can't get
> to your repositories.  Heck, if the directory is local on your machine
> and you switch to another machine, they configuration isn't even
> useful for yourself.
>
> That said, this will allow you to do it if you still want too.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I partially agree that using directory
repositories is not the best idea. But in my opinion if you have
source code which isn't public it is a really bad idea to use http
repositories. So our team uses diretory repositories which we
sync via unison over ssh to a central server. I had a look at
HttpSocket und HttpsSocket to get https repositories into monticello
but I'm not the most experienced squeaker nor do I have enough time
to get deep enough into it.

thanks very much,

Norbert