[Newbies] delegation vs inheritance

Michael Haupt mhaupt at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 17:48:21 UTC 2007

Hi Darren,

On 8/4/07, gruntfuttuck <gruntfuttuck at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. I find it very interesting what you say but am
> struggling to understand it and the info in the link.

it's something that may be difficult to grasp indeed. Maybe it's my
explanations that get it wrong. I'll try again, please bear with me.
:-)

In some very few words: if, during the execution of a message that
made it from A to B somehow, "self" remains bound to A, it's
delegation. If "self" changes to B, it's forwarding.

Some other words: if B acts "on behalf of" A (but the credits go to A
in the end), it's delegation. If B acts because A tells it to and B
gets the credit, it's forwarding.

("On behalf of" meaning "in the name of" above.)

I *should* come up with an actual example, I know. :-) But the page I
pointed you to actually does a good job already. (BTW I noticed they
call "forwarding" "consultation"... well... names...)

> I think what I need to do is explore this in the morning when my brain is fresh.

That's always a good idea... :-)

Best,

Michael