[Newbies] Question about resolving package dependencies

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Fri Aug 10 15:20:19 UTC 2007

Hello Thomas,

TP> Second question:

TP> Can anyone explain the types of files used by Monticello and
TP> SqueakMap, such as .mcz and .sar files?  Is it possible to download

mcz something like monticello changeset zipped. sar = Squeak archive,
also something zipped. IIRC used if you want to package code and
media. I have no practical experience with it but I believe Edgar is
an expert on these.

On both you can use any standard zip tool to take them apart.

TP> these files separately and then load them from local copies?  Iassume
TP> this would not be done from a filelist dialog.

yes, in older images where SqueakMap doesn't work anymore you actually
have to download the files and install them from a local copy.
FileList is one possible starting point, drag and drop into the image
often works too.

MCZ can be opened by a monticello browser, if you copy them into a
repository MC knows. But you can see diffs and install either from
FileList or drag and drop.

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:herbertkoenig at gmx.net