[Newbies] deploying Squeak applications

David Mitchell david.mitchell at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 13:57:11 UTC 2007

To see a good practice (best) for deployment, look at Sophie, which
borrows its deployment strategy from Plopp. I particularly like the
Linux deployment, which includes the VMs for on Windows and Mac OS X
as well.

This topic is addressed as a FAQ on the wiki (just updated with my
comments before replying to this email):
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3563

I usually get my application running, then Save and Close Squeak. The
distribute the image (and changes, if I'm giving to another
developer).

Reducing (a.k.a., shrinking) the image is generally considered a black
art. Best practice today is writing your app with Monticello. Then get
a pre-shrunk Squeak and add reload your app. Here is a good place for
pre-shrunk Squeaks:

http://www.comtalk.net/Squeak/98

To see the future, take a look at Spoon. Probably not ready for the
beginners list, though:
http://netjam.org/spoon