[Newbies] What to do when package install fails?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Feb 22 12:15:46 UTC 2007

On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 06:50:18PM -0800, Blake wrote:
> Here's a good noob question:
>
> 	What should one do when a package install fails?
>
> 	I downloaded the squeak dev image 76 which doesn't seem to have
> 	Seaside  installed (it's supposed to as far as I can tell) but when I try
> to load  the Seaside installer, that fails during "initialization". (Same
> on all  versions: The progress bar gets about 1/3 of the way and then
> stops. I  havet to Alt+. out of it.)
>
> 	I never know what to do when that happens: Is the environment in an
> unstable state at that point? Is it best to just quit without saving? If I
> load an earlier version of the package is that okay?

I usually save my image right before loading a new package. If something
goes wrong, I quit without saving, so no harm is done. If I am loading
several packages, I may use "save as new version" after loading a few
of them so I don't have to reload everything if something goes wrong
on say the sixth package.

Of course it is also a good idea to occasionally save backup copies
of your working image and changes files in a safe place.

Dave