[Newbies] Squeak Workspace stuck in walkback

Brent McConnell emcconne at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 20:00:09 UTC 2007

I am new to Smalltalk and Squeak and am having some trouble using the
3.8.1version of the Squeak Workspace.  I originally wrote the
following:

x := OrderedCollection new.
x add: 'blue'.
x do: [:a | Transcript show: a; cr]

This works fine.  I then changed it to this:

x := Collection new.
x add: 'blue'.
x do: [:a | Transcript show: a; cr]

Which produced an error on Collcetion>>add: as a subclass Responsibility
which seems correct.  But when I change it back to OrderedCollection I get
an error that Collection>>do:  is subclass responsibility.  However this is
EXACTLY the same code as before that worked.  But now I have to exit the
Workspace and start another before the code works again.  Am I doing
something wrong?

Brent