[Newbies] I've just introduced some 9th graders to Squeak

Russ russvr at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 15:45:21 UTC 2007

Hello. This is my first post to the beginners list. I've been a perpetual
beginner since I first found out about Squeak over ten years ago ( can it
really be that long ? at least somewhere at the beginning of ver. 1.x ) .
Anyway, I'm not a programmer, I'm a musician and an explorer, and currently,
a substitute teacher - teaching 9th graders (gifted ones at that) computer
skills. Today I introduced them to Squeak ! It went really well. First  I
talked about smalltalk, had them type in the " Transcript show: 'Hello
World'. " program in a workspace, and I'm sure that bored them plenty. But I
did not miss a beat. I next introduced them to the morphs - the bouncing
atoms and the blobs , etc.. and they were HOOKED ! 80 Kids now know about
Squeak. Now what ? What should I do with Squeak and my 9th graders that will
thrill them further ? Ideas ?

Thanks !

Russ Van Rooy
http://www.myspace.com/russvr