[Newbies] Changesets, Monticello and SqueakMap

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Mon Jan 29 19:03:17 UTC 2007

Hi,

at the moment I try to figure out how the three configuration
management approaches fit together. After switching to Monticello
I found my life a lot easier :) Monticello is of great help!

Then I noticed that changesets are named after the Monticello
package that was last imported. I'm not quite sure if changesets
have any benefit if someone is using monticello.

Then there is squeakmap. Squeakmap seems to be the official
release server. Is squeakmap tied to a special format? Can
squeakmap use monticello  packages as well? I'm asking because I
had problems to find any version information on squeakmap (beside
the squeakmap version).

While reading the squeak lists it appeared to me that a lot of
you are developing with monticello and releasing on squeakmap. But
I didn't find any information about the source (e.g. monticello
version) version.

I think it would be great to install a release from squeakmap and
having the opportunity to open monticello and see which newer
versions (and most important what changes) have been made. The
squeakmap packages could also add their repository to monticello
when they are installed.

The only reason against it I can imagine is that this would introduce
dependencies which aren't wanted.

Norbert