[Newbies] Viewing differences between monticello snapshots

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Jul 7 09:35:55 UTC 2007

On Jul 7, 2007, at 8:53 , Matthew Fulmer wrote:

> I really don't see what the diff button on Monticello is for. It
> pops up another window just like the one it just came from, and
> pressing browse on that window shows the whole snapshot.

Did you ever notice the balloon help on the button? ;)

It produces an .mcd version, a "differential" MC file that you can
use just like an .mcz but which is usually much smaller. It only
stores the difference to a "base snapshot". For loading the mcd, the
base version must be available, too.

> Isn't
> there a way to see changes between snapshots of one package
> other than by sorting changes manually using the change sorter?

That's the "changes" button which shows the difference between your
working copy and the selected version. There is no UI for comparing
arbitrary versions AFAIK.

- Bert -