[Newbies] Defining a class at runtime

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Jul 20 11:07:36 UTC 2007

On Jul 20, 2007, at 12:48 , Marcin Tustin wrote:

> Just because code definition happens as part of the runtime of the
> whole system does not mean that any piece of code does not have a
> code definition time during which one could arrange to, for
> example, do macro substitution.

This is the beginner's list. In my experience it helps beginners to
understand Smalltalk better when they *truly* realize that everything
is an object, and all that ever happens is that messages are sent to
objects. This is hard to grok if you come from other environments.

Even the notion of "piece of code" distracts from this big picture.
That string of characters just happens to be one user interface to
the system. It also happens to be one external representation, albeit
a very flawed one. Code isn't all that important for understanding
Smalltalk. Objects are.

- Bert -