[Newbies] Re: Some general questions

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Wed May 23 15:18:36 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 15:37 +0100, Darren White wrote:
> Hello, Thanks fro the replies.
>
> I think my first question was a little fuzzy. I think what I need to
> do as change the question.
>
> If for example I have a seaside web app and users need to create an
> account. Now, for each user I create an object, say an instance of
> class Users, which has instance variables such as name and address. So
> the new user puts in their detail such as name, address, telephone
> number and then click register. How should (not what) the system name
> this object. What I'm confused about is I don't know how may users the
> system will have have do I name all the user object; I can't call them
> all aUser . If the first user gets an object named user1 how do I
> create another instance of User named user2 or What about If I want to
> use one of the input field as part of the name of the object?
>

> The example below may make it clear what I mean
>
> 10 timesRepeat: [
> x := 1 asString.
> ''the value of x can be any string object"
> user"how do I add x to be part off the name so I end up with variable
> named user1 user2 ... " := User new.
> x := x + x.]

Why not using a collection for this. If I understand you right, you
just need a bunch of user objects. If you think you need some kind
of index just use an OrderedCollection.

users := OrderedCollection new.
10 timeRepeat: [
	users add: User new.
]

Then you have even the chance to access them by index

firstUser := users at: 1

hope this helps,

Norbert