[Newbies] Linux and Squeak server help

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Tue Nov 6 07:46:04 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 11:49 -0300, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
> People:
>
> Still this old donkey could't figure how to have Squeak as server on Linux.
> I try all people send on general list, the last of Giovanni Corriga on
> TCPListener, but no luck.
>
> I could do all in the Linux box, transfer files to this to Mac or Windows
> and reverse.
>
> But as I said , if I have Squeak running on Linux and any of the others, tcp
> comunication is one direction only, from Linux to others and no from others
> to Linux.
>
> And any Squeak running TCPListener, swikis, HV2, etc, only work with
> Konqueror or Firefox in the Linux bos, but can't be reached from outside.
>
> What I doing wrong ?

Sounds like your tcp services are bound to the loopback device
(127.0.0.1). This is reachable from your linux box but not from
the outside. If you have your tcp service listening on port 9090
you can have a look at a linux console. Just type:

#> netstat -atn | grep 9090

If you get something like this

tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:9090          0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN

then your tcp service is bound to loopback and can't be reached
from outside this host. I can only speak for the usage of seaside
which is using KomHttpServer as HV2 I guess. Most of the people using
one of these are using apache, too. In a common scenario apache is
reachable from the outside and apache connects your squeak instance
(like you do with konqueror from the linux box).

I took a quick peak and only found

Socket>>listenTo:backlogSize:interface:

Try to specify the interface address (usually is 0.0.0.0). I don't know
but it may help.

Norbert