[Newbies] Re: monticello package - adding instance variables toexisting classes

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 03:34:24 UTC 2007

On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 08:40:36PM -0600, itsme213 wrote:

> "Matthew Fulmer" <tapplek at gmail.com> wrote in message
> > On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 07:50:54PM -0600, itsme213 wrote:
> >> I understand how Monticello deals with me adding (in my package) some
> >> methods to an existing class like Object (from other package).
> >>
> >> How does it deal with me adding an instance variable?
> >
> > If you mean in a class outside you're package, it doesn't
>
> Does that mean I cannot (or am not supposed to) add inst-vars to existing
> classes homed in other packages? I was hoping that doing this, and adding
> lazy initializing accessors, would allow for an aop-style definition of some
> classes. Class even has a method #addInstVarName:

As a feature/hack (depending on your point of view), many
classes (most seaside classes and all morphs) sport a property
dictionary and accessors like propertyAt: propertyAt:put:, and
propertyAt:ifAbsent:, which can do lazy initialization of custom
data. If you are using such a class, you're in luck.

What are you trying to do, exactly?

> I am curious about the reasons for this restriction. Is it because of the
> way Monticello relies on method category names?

For the most part, this is the reason for the restriction. I
would consider it a bug.