[Newbies] Installing Squeak From the Linux Command Line

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Nov 30 22:33:54 UTC 2007

On Nov 30, 2007, at 23:15 , Markus Schlager wrote:

> Hi Dale,
>
> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007, Dale Wiles wrote:
> [...]
>> Return to /tmp/squeak_tmp/Squeak-3.9-8
>>
>>   squeak> cd ../../../../..
>
> I'd prefer
>
>    squeak> cd /tmp/squeak_tmp/Squeak-3.9-8
>
> [...]
>> * HOW TO START A NEW PROJECT
>>
>> Make a directory to hold the project.  Say project "foo" in your home
>> directory.
>>
>>> mkdir ~/foo
>>
>> Change directory in to it.
>>
>>> cd ~/foo
>>
>> Copy the Squeak "image" and "changes" files into the project
>> directory.
>>
>>   foo> cp /usr/local/lib/squeak/squeak.image .
>>   foo> cp /usr/local/lib/squeak/squeak.changes .
>>

> I think you'll need a symbolic link to the squeak-sources,
> something like
>
>    foo> ln -s /usr/local/lib/squeak/SqueakV3[9].sources .

Not if you put it next to the VM.

Also, the instructions were somewhat complicated. The only thing I
install usually is the VM, and the sources file.  Image+changes are
working files so they are only in my working dirs, not in a system
dir. [except for the squeakland image for the browser plugin of course]

- Bert -