[Newbies] Why is the UI so blurry on Linux?

David Mitchell david.mitchell at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 14:15:05 UTC 2008

I run on Linux and Windows regularly. There is no difference in how
fonts are rendered in a stock Squeak. My screen looks exactly like
yours.

The difference in the crispness is driven by the different fonts. Some
of the stock fonts are blurry. You can install new fonts or pick a
different font for the flap icons (e.g., you could use the balloon
help font everywhere).

Overview of fonts in squeak:
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/696

FreeType gives you access to whatever fonts are installed on your
system. Can lead to platform dependencies (since it runs native code
to render the fonts).Current state of FreeType Plus for squeak:
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5984

Juan has found a kind of middle path for fonts. Not as flexible as
FreeType, but better looking on all platforms out of the box. This is
part of his Morphic 3.0 work.
http://www.jvuletich.org/NiceFonts.html