[Newbies] Getting a handle on objects which are instantiated through the various flaps

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Fri Feb 8 14:27:00 UTC 2008

Hello Andy,

AB> When I pull an object from a flap onto the desktop, how can I
AB> get a handle on it so that I can send it messages
AB> programmatically?  What I am hoping is that I could drag e.g. the
AB> bouncing atom thing into a project, and then - in a workspace? -
AB> be able to send it messages.

I long knew it was there, but it took me quite some time to find out.

Hopefully by telling you, I will remember when I need it.

Here goes:
In the window menu of a Workspace (left of the cross to close it) you
find an option "create textual references for dropped morphs".

Set it and then drop your BouncingAtoms into the Workspace.

The Morph will move back but in the Workspace you find something like
"bouncing atoms1892"

The bad news:
If the name is a single word (like an Ellipse from the supplies flap)
you then can send it messages.

This doesn't work for representations with more than one words.

Funny thing, if I use a StarMorph the reference is created but the
Star goes to the trash!

I tried this in 3.8, it maybe better or worse in younger images.

Cheers

Herbert                            mailto:herbertkoenig at gmx.net