[Newbies] separating app from platform-specific parts of image?

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Fri Jul 11 17:34:05 UTC 2008

Hi John,

John Chandler wrote:

> I understand that I can run a Squeak package that implements VNC, and
> that there is a "headless" mode that should allow me to launch Squeak
> w/o any GUI.
>
> It is not clear to me which parts of this are platform-independent and
> how to get them loaded into a running image w/o having GUI access to it.
>
> I'm not even sure that I'm asking the question particularly clearly, but
> I'm hoping someone can decipher my ravings.

Yes, VNC access to a headless Squeak image is one of Squeak magics a
love most. You just need to install a package RemoteFrameBuffer in your
image, set the parameters then run headless and you'll be able to
connect to image and see its full GUI remotely. No X needed on host
machine. Pure magic :)

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek