[Newbies] Invoking MIDIInputParser

stan shepherd squeak414 at free.fr
Mon Jul 28 14:34:32 UTC 2008

George Kopeczky wrote:

> I'm a Squeak newbie with nearly zero programming experience, brought here
> by a search after a tool that will let me capture, view as hex (and
> hopefully, save) a rare type of MIDI message (Active Sensing) which is
> unrecorded by every MIDI sequencing application I tried.
>
> The MIDIInputParser object seems to be the ticket, but how do I invoke it?
> Whether I choose "Object Catalog" from the menu, or just click the Objects
> tab in Squeak's playfield, there is no trace of MIDIInputParser (or its
> Sound-Score Category) between the resources offered. I looked at the
> Squeak tutorials list, I haven't seen a MIDI-related one. I could use a
> little orientation on how to proceed... thank you in advance
>
> George

Welcome George,

I presume you want to capture the message from an external MIDI device (i.e.
not from a MIDI file). At the moment there are some limitations on
supporting external devices in Squeak. Windows is OK, Mac should be
available soon, Linux is a problem. See this thread:

http://www.nabble.com/-squeak-dev--Creating-using-MIDI-ports-with-external-device%2C-how-to-start--to17533312.html#a17556392

If you are on Windows and would like some more pointers on how to do the
capture, send a reply.

...Stan