[Newbies] Explorer and MessageTally [was: remembering variables]

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Tue Jun 3 07:38:26 UTC 2008

Hello Klaus,

KDW> Yes, MessageTally does that for you: a tree of message sends. From the Spy
KDW> results, you can select a class and browse it for more details, or a
KDW> method and browse its senders or implementors for more details.

interesting idea to use it this way! But MessageTally IMHO only shows
what it finds on the stack when it peeks. So it can miss some methods
running seldom and quick.

So you can do MessageTally>>tallySends: [your tallied block] which
uses the simulator (sloow!!) but gets you everything.

And to be real useful with long class names and deeply nested sends
one might have to patch some of the class side methods of MessageTally
in the defaults category.

After looking I see it has become better with 3.9 so the latter
applies only for 3.8 and older.

--
Cheers,

Herbert