[Newbies] underscore / left-arrow query

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Wed Jun 4 15:44:14 UTC 2008

Kel> is it now considered bad form to use the left arrow, or can I set this in
Kel> preferences somewhere such that my underscore is converted to an exciting
Kel> left-arrow? if it's bad form or broken, i'll mend my ways.

The underscore (formerly left arrow) syntax is likely to be supported for some
time in the future, simply because it's so prevalent.  However, there are
patches installed by GLORP to permit an underscore as a valid symbol
character, so if you create new code that uses the underscore, be sure there's
whitespace on both sides of it (as the core code already is).

Most coders I've seen are using the := form instead, simply to avoid the
potential ambiguity, and to increase compatibility with other Smalltalks.