[Newbies] Re: Proper object removal

Rob Rothwell r.j.rothwell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 12:32:21 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 8:02 AM, Norbert Hartl <norbert at hartl.name> wrote:

> I don't care if it is called hair-splitting or something different. I
> must agree with Bert. I found it interesting but misplaced on beginners.
> What you were talking about had nothing to do with the Problem Rob was
> asking (and to continue in Bert's words: If you use thisContext tempAt:
> you've left the beginner area already). With your first line you
> confused even me and I'm little bit reluctant now to be called a
> newbie ;)
>
> Writing
>
> { 'this', 'and', 'that' }
>
> instead of
>
> Array with: 'this and that'
>
> let people like me assume there is some black magic happening. To under-
> stand the problem dots instead of commata makes it clearer. So maybe you
> can understand that while you are right you can spread uncertainty to
> those which aren't that experienced (this includes me as well). And
> to some who are that experienced it appears like hair-splitting ;)

Nonetheless, thanks to all your help, I understand things better now, and
can properly remove objects I currently "have control over."  Because I was
able to test things based on all your feedback, I have narrowed my problem
down to an Aida misunderstanding on my part.

For any Aida-ers out there, playing with a WebGrid, it's bound objects, and
garbage collection should lead one to a greater understanding of
WebSession(s) and WebSessionManager(s)!  I'm not saying I've figured it out
yet--just that I can get reproducible results now!

Thanks for the help,

Rob