[Newbies] Examples of GUI programs developed in Squeak

Henry Lenzi henry.lenzi at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 23:59:11 UTC 2008

On 4/2/08, David Finlayson <dfinlayson at usgs.gov> wrote:
> I am considering developing an application in Squeak for the analysis
>  and processing of sonar data.
(...)

>  The question is: is Squeak the right smalltalk for this kind of thing?

Hi --

I'm not really qualified to have an opinion on this but I've searched
around a bit and found interesting things:

These guys have used it for Genetic Algorithms

http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/study/courses/OMP/public/software/sqcdrom2/Packages/Languages/Genetic%20Algorithms/index.html

The next example wasn't written for Squeak, but it's still Smalltalk.
It's for sound and they interfaced to C (FFTW, etc).

http://fastlabinc.com/Siren/

Tiny, tiny example of singal processing with Squeak:

http://www.jvuletich.org/issues/Issue0006.htm

>  Does it have the support for images, matrix algebra, plain old
>  performance for signal processing to build a photo-shop-like
>  application? I guess it has been used for Robot control, which would
>  have similar performance demands. What do you think?

Built-in Matrix Algebra, no, I don't think, but someone wrote an
interface to LAPACK/BLAS

http://ncellier.ifrance.com/Smallapack/

Please post here your war stories with this endeavour. It's great that
there are pioneering spirits like you trying to break the mold. I
think that is very inspiring.

Cheers,

Henry Lenzi