[Newbies] Creating a coverflow effect in Squeak

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Sat Jun 14 07:19:21 UTC 2008

Andy,

AB> (not a very good description, but if you have seen iTunes, you
AB> know what I mean).
never seen but:

AB> I had a look in Squeaksource but found nothing similar.
AB> Could anyone give me some pointers on how to start this project.
AB> For example, is there a 'film strip' morph that already handles
AB> lists of images or something similar?

this looks like classic animation (search the swiki for animation)
which is one of the built in features of every morph.

In general you would need a path which the Morph will follow and you
would have to modify the step method of a Morph to follow that path.

And your Morph would have to return something smaller than the default
1000ms when sent stepTime.

Something to play (I just did it the first time myself :-)) using
3.8.2

Something to play:

World menu, objects, drag out an Ellipse into the centre of your
screen.

Open the halo, open an Inspector on the ellipse.

In the Inspector type "self definePath" (without "") and doIt.

With a pressed mouse button (left on Windows) move around the screen
until Squeak croaks and the cursor changes back.

Then bring up the Halo again, the red one has "Extras" there "follow
existing path". I just noticed that in Extras you also find "draw new
path"

If you have a Menu open (Extras for example), middle click twice on
the the interesting entry, bring up an Inspector and look into the
target (self) and the selector (#definePath) and the arguments (if
any).

Oh and not to forget, there are tutorials on how to provide different
pictures while a Morph follows an animation. I remember seeing an
Etoys project where a worm creeps using this technique.

After you know all this I guess you will just provide your own
animation methods and paths.

Cheers,

Herbert