[Newbies] Creating a coverflow effect in Squeak

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Jun 14 19:37:40 UTC 2008

On 14.06.2008, at 19:03, Ross Boylan wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-06-14 at 13:43 +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>
>> The path methods are a beautifully simple and useful, but they are
>> also a particularly bad example of Morphic programming.
> Does this mean that they could be done properly in Morphic?  In other
> words, is the problem here with Morphic, or with this particular
> approach?
>
> Or maybe it's just very difficult to do properly in Morphic?

It's more complicated - e.g., both definePath and followPath are
single methods now, done properly it would require at least a few
methods - setup, event handlers, stepping, cleanup ... the control
flow would be sprinkled across a few methods. This is typical of
almost any event-based UI, you typically would have a mouse-down
handler that sets up a few things, a mouse-move handler to collect the
path, and a mouse-up handler to gather the result. And these handlers
have to be enabled only while the path is recorded.

> I also have a more general question: if I'm not doing fancy animations
> or 3D effects, are there any particular benefits or drawbacks of using
> Tweak?

Tweak has nothing to do with 3D, it is purely 2D. But for example, the
definePath or followPath methods could be implemented in a single
method with local control flow which is really nice to program.

- Bert -