[Newbies] How to invoke other program in squeak?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Jun 23 03:09:17 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 09:26:29AM +0800, Albert Lee wrote:
> I want to invoke some script written in perl/python, how to do that in squeak ?

There are add-on packages that will let you do this. In your Squeak image, use
either a SqueakMap browser or a Universes browser, and look for the packages
FFI, CommandShell, and OSProcess.

FFI is the Foreign Function Interface, which includes the class Win32Shell
that may help if you are using Windows.

If you are using Linux, Unix, or Mac OS X, then OSProcess with CommandShell will
give you access to external programs like perl and python. In the CommandShell
package, look at PipeableOSProcess class>>tkExample for an example of controlling
a tk/tcl script program from Squeak.

For more information:
  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1414
  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1914