[Newbies] Can "Method source with it" be sped up?

Milan Zimmermann milan.zimmermann at sympatico.ca
Sun Jun 29 13:28:25 UTC 2008

On 2008 June 23, Matthew Fulmer wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 12:01:52AM +0000, Milan Zimmermann wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I find "Method source with it" a last, but often used method when looking
> > where a string is used, when forgetting how something is implemented but
> > remembering some key string etc - sort of a brute force "google on
> > source", very useful.
>
> For finding a String within source (like, looking up a menu
> label), use "Method Strings with it", Alt-Shift-E. I have never
> needed method source with it once I learned what that did.

I do not trust "method strings with it". Maybe I am missing something, but try
this: Highlight an instance variable in class definition. Do "method strings
with it" - it finds nothing, even though that variable is in many places in
that class methods.  BTW, am I missing something here, is this a bug, or is
this expected? In any case I cannot use it the way it works for me at this
point.

Also, I often I find a situation that I remember a string or token that I know
relates to the "thing" I am looking for. What I remember is often part of
instvar name,  perhaps part of method name, comment, or whatever. For those
situations (and I seem not be alone in that mental flaw :) ) it is great to
just say "search everything" -like googgle. But it is prohibitively slow in
Squeak (and no caching happens such as it seems to in for example Eclipse
where first search is quite fast and following very fast).

Anyway, apart from wishing it would be faster I was curious if anyone has an
idea why.

Milan