[Newbies] Detecting keyboard state / finding older fixes

stan shepherd squeak414 at free.fr
Fri Mar 7 13:54:10 UTC 2008

Where I was confused is that checking if the key is pressed already doesn't
appear to differentiate between a 'real' key down and a repeat. For example
:

keyDown: anEvent
	(keys includes: anEvent keyValue)
		ifTrue: [Transcript show: 'skipped ' , anEvent asString; cr]
		ifFalse: [keys add: anEvent keyValue. "
			Transcript show: 'key down ' , anEvent asString; cr.
			self changed]

always takes the 'key down' branch, even for key held down.

Was this what you meant?

On the other hand, looping over this in a thread:

keyStrokes
	keys
		do: [:key | key
				ifNotNil: [(oldKeys includes: key)
						ifFalse: [Transcript show: 'key added ' , key asString;
								 cr]]].
	oldKeys do: [:key | key
				ifNotNil: [(keys includes: key)
						ifFalse: [Transcript show: 'key removed ' , key asString;
								 cr]]].
	oldKeys := keys copy.

has the desired effect of only showing real key moves.

Is this over complicating things?
...Stan