[Newbies] RectangleMorph vs. BlobMorph

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 04:49:38 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 12:33:26AM -0400, polishookm wrote:
> Thanks Mathew,
>
> As soon as I asked the question, I googled etoys image and found the link
> and followed the instructions.
>
> This now works on my MacBook .... although 120 seems to be about the limit,
> maybe a few more ...
>
> 120 timesRepeat: [
>
>    b := BlobMorph new.
>    b position: ((500 atRandom) @ (500 atRandom)).
>    b openInWorld.
> ]
>
> And
>
> BlobMorph allInstancesDo: [ :b | b delete ]
>
> works too. Although it seems like the image is almost at the point of
> thinking about maybe starting to freeze ....
>
> My next question: To the best of my knowledge, there's no real comparative
> information on the web to suggest one version over another. Can you give
> some guidance on this or point to a link wherever it might be?

No, nothing I can think of. Just familiarity with what is going
on in the community.

Squeak.org and squeak-dev/web are mostly focussed on using
squeak as a development environment, and not an end-user
application, and so have allowed morphic/etoys to decay.
Squeakland and etoys are centered around morphic and so keep it
in tip-top condition.  The other forks (croquet, sophie,
scratch) mostly use code that is unique to that other fork.