[Newbies] Re: Nothing's working

Rob Rothwell r.j.rothwell at gmail.com
Sat May 10 13:33:11 UTC 2008

On 5/10/08, Lee Nixon <psycloneranger at gmail.com> wrote:

>   Thanks for the prompt and friendly response,-----b--u---t---   I got
> version 3.9 which, as I recall,  is supposed to be the one in sync
> with the book and I'm still not getting anywhere.  The one I had
> before was 3.10 in case you're wondering.
>    I got an idea--let's get someone who knows what the hell they're
> doing to write me a Standard Musical Notation Editor. And as soon as I
> become a millionaire I'll be real nice to them :-)

For what looks to be a very in-depth Smalltalk musical package, take a
look at Siren (
http://fastlabinc.com/Siren/main.html
).  I haven't been able to get the supporting dll's loaded properly to
try it out, but I think it even has a notation editor of some kind...
It's written for VisualWorks, not Squeak, but has an extensive manual which
might give you some ideas for your project.

I have to keep reminding myself that the entire programming world is
full of "examples" that don't work when you download them; it's not
just a
Smalltalk phenomenon--but it IS frustrating nonetheless...

Rob